Monday, January 25, 2010

The battle of the bulge. :)

Like my title? My dad told me that one. (LMAO.) Exciting news: my dad is starting a blog of his own! He was inspired by the fact that I started one, and so he decided to kick it into gear, too. If you would like to read his, it's located here:

www.sixninetwelvethree.blogspot.com

So that is my shameless plug for him. I'm really proud that he's trying to do something good for himself. It's also encouraging to be doing this not only with Chris, but with my dad. So good.

Anyway. This week I did really well eating healthy. I was eating salads and well rounded meals, and I didn't eat before bed. Then Friday I hit the road for my gigs. I had two this weekend, one in western MA and the other in CT. They both went pretty well, but I was surrounded by friends (which might make me eat less in some circumstances) and stayed out late at diners and such. I even stopped at Wendy's for a meal on my way back up to Boston (erg). The other thing to keep in mind is that I only made it to the gym twice this week. Both were yoga classes, and those aren't as strenuous or sweaty as some of the other things I could have been doing. The point is, I'm going to try try again.

Last night I bought myself a couple of things at target for the upcoming semester. (It starts today! My very first class is at 2.) While I was there I also bought myself an iron gym (hahaha) and Jillian Michael's book entitled "Making the Cut". I was inspired by the dedication: TO THE INNER BADASS LIVING INSIDE US ALL. (hehe.) So I started reading the book last night, and realized that it may not be the book for me. Here's the reason: Ultimately, I may want to lose more than 20 pounds, and this book seems to be mostly for people who are just trying to shed a few and do some toning. But, rather than waste $11, I'm going to keep reading and take what I can from it. She has another book that I may buy tonight at the COOP before work, and it seems to be more my speed. It's entitled "Losing to Gain", and it's for people who are really looking to make a lifestyle change. If I look at that book and I think that maybe I can make due with this one instead, I'll stick it out.

In other news, I switched on the BMI calculator (just to see). They categorized me as obese? I'm not sure if that's the word I'd use to describe myself, so I'm just trying to ignore that. (Hahaha.) I know that I'm overweight, but definitely not obese. Some things are just not meant to be done. I think there are some diet tools that don't promote good. The BMI thing made me sad more than anything. I've realized as I've started this project that weighing myself every week isn't an option. It's too depressing for me. Instead, I will start to weigh myself every other week. I don't know that I'll post about it, because the number is not necessarily something I want public...I'd rather talk about the changes that are eventually getting me to the number.

This is what today looks like: Peanut butter toast for breakfast (1 slice), workout at noon (total body conditioning), shower, class, some kind of healthy snack, salad before work, WORK. It's gonna be great.

Signing out as we all fight the battle of the bulge,

--Beth

3 comments:

  1. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106268439

    top ten reasons why the BMI is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock chica!
    the BMI is totally off.. first of all the ONLY way to truly get an accurate BMI is to use a water displacement BMI calculator pool thingy... its basically a pool that calculates the displacement that combined with your height, weight and possibly measurements (bust, waist hips, etc) gives one an accurate BMI. Otherwise its close but not true, plus they can't calculate body type, bone structure, etc.
    Also, I think that Jacki has a new book out too. She's a gym owner/trainer that has a reality show on Bravo. I like her approach as well.
    Slow and steady! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you friends! the BMI thing was pretty discouraging. I did kick it into gear today, though. gym and healthy meals all day long!

    love you both

    ReplyDelete